At one time, brewery De Cimbel stood here. It was demolished to make room for this largest patrician house ever built in Delft (1717-1720). Louis XIV style with ornate entrance and cornice. Privately owned until French period. Later used as accommodation for departmental governance Batavian Republic, School for Artillery and Engineering, Military Hospital and Royal Academy (precursor TU Delft). Expanded with education buildings on Westvest in 19th century. Education building of IHE Delft Institute for Water Education since 1960. From 1990-1992, style rooms restored to former glory.